Free Mental Health Apps That Can Help You
There are so many free and low-cost resources that can help improve mood, cope with stressful situations, learn how to meditate and get a better night’s sleep.
Below are just a few of the many different apps you can download on your phone or tablet. All of these apps have a free version, and some provide more resources for an extra cost.
These apps are a great addition to therapy but should not be used as a replacement. If you begin to experience any suicidal or homicidal ideation, call your local emergency department, 911 or the national suicide hotline 800-273-8255.
(The author nor Mental Health Match do not endorse any of the apps below and cannot guarantee their effectiveness.)
- What’s Up: This app uses different therapy techniques (CBT, ACT) to help you cope with depression, anxiety, stress and other mood symptoms.
- Mood Kit: This app have over 200 mood improvement activities and provides a centralized place where you can track your mood and journal about your mental health.
- CBT Thought Record Diary: This app uses CBT and Positive Psychology to help improve your mood!
- MoodTools: This app is designed to help you combat depression and alleviate your negative moods.
- Mindshift: This app uses CBT to help you learn to relaxation and mindfulness skills in addition to ways to change how you think and decrease anxiety!
- DBT Coach: This app is for anyone who wants to improve their overall mental wellbeing. It provides help, support and resources for your recovery journey.
- Happify: This app has science-based activities and games that help you overcome negative thoughts, stress and life’s challenges.
- SuperBetter: This app is aimed to help people overcome depression and anxiety, manage stress, cope with chronic pain and overcome a life challenge such as finding a new job, divorce or grief.
- Self-Help for Anxiety Management (SAM): This app offers a range of self-help methods to manage anxiety.
- MoodNotes: This app uses CBT and Positive Psychology techniques such as a mood tracker and a space for journaling as a way to improve mood.
- eMoods: This app helps you manage symptoms of Bipolar Disorder, anxiety and depression.
- Mooditude: This app is based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to help you build resilience to stress and anxiety.
- Calm: This app focuses on techniques to help with relaxation, meditation and sleep.
- Headspace: This app provides guided meditations to help with sleep, focus, exercise and mood.
- Ten Percent Happier: This app has guided meditations and videos that make it fun and straightforward to learn to meditate.
- Breathe2Relax: This app is a portable stress management tool that helps people learn stress management skills including breathing and meditation.
- Smiling Mind: This is a non-for-profit web and app-based meditation program developed by psychologists and educators to help bring mindfulness into your life.
- Meditation RX: Find relief from the stress of serious illness with the Meditation Rx app. Whether you are ill or are supporting a loved one through an illness, you will find guided meditations especially designed to suit your needs.
- CBT-I Coach: This app guides you in the process of learning about sleep, developing positive sleep routines and improvement your sleep environment.
- Sleep Cycle: This app analyses your sleep pattern and helps you understand your sleep patterns for a better night’s sleep!
- iSleep Easy: This app provides free medications for restful sleep.