What are signs of perfectionism?
Perfectionism is a mental health problem that can cause you misery and stress. If you feel like everything has to be absolutely the way you desire it, and if you feel like you have to control many things in your life, then you may be a perfectionist.
Here are a few signs that your drive for excellence may be harmful to your wellbeing:
- You prioritize pleasing other people over your own needs and wants
- You procrastinate because tasks feel too overwhelming
- You are highly critical, including of yourself
- You see everything as all-or-nothing, black-or-white, good or bad
- You set unrealistic goals or standards that you cannot reasonably achieve
- You have an intense fear of failure
- You get defensive about what you do or make
- You have a low self-esteem or tie your self-worth to the goals you achieve
It is OK to have high standards, but if you feel like you are never able to meet those standards and are always striving for something further, you may need some help in shifting your perspective. Therapists on Mental Health Match can help you find more compassion for yourself and others while helping ease your perfectionism.